Monday, February 23, 2009

Celebrating the Joy and Industry of the New Earth

Week Four

This past weekend I read an article about the emergency landing (January 2009) of Flight 1549 on the Hudson River. Some have described it as “Miracle on the Hudson.” A passenger was quoted in the article as saying that she “feared for her soul” as the pilot said to prepare for a crash.

I wonder what thoughts would go through my mind if I believed I only had just seconds to live. Although I know I would miss my loved ones, I think I’d be excited to meet my Maker—to see Almighty God—to finally be Home.

Day One (Week Four): What Will It Mean to See God?

Day One of this week’s study reminds us that being with God is the heart and soul of Heaven. As followers of Jesus Christ, we have no need to ever fear for our souls.

On page 76 we are asked to imagine what it would be like to see Jesus face-to-face. How do you expect to react?

The first words that come to my mind are “fall down … unworthy … paid in full.” When I see Jesus’ nail-pierced hands I think the reality of His life on earth and His cruel death on the cross for my sins will be stamped on my soul with indescribable gratitude.

Alcorn says on page 79, “We will spend eternity worshiping, exploring, and serving Him [God], seeing His magnificent beauty in everything and everyone around us.” Alcorn adds that every day that we are on earth, we can see God in His creation and thank Him for life’s large and small joys—allowing them to draw us to Him.

That’s a great way for us to begin this week—worshiping and thanking God.

Day Two (Week Four): What Will It Mean for God to Dwell Among Us?

What does “the joy of a God-centered Heaven” mean to you(page 80)? Alcorn reminds us that God’s won’t send His delegate to Heaven—He’ll actually come to live with us on the New Earth!

As we go through our day, we can have a taste of breathing God’s glory as we look up to a brilliant blue sky, watch crashing waves, or hold a newborn babe. But as Alcorn says, when we are in Heaven, “God’s glory will be the air we breathe.”

Jesus says in John 17:24, “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.” Jesus wants to be with His followers. He loves you and me. Oh, how we will rejoice when we enter Heaven and Jesus welcomes us Home.

“Christ’s desire for us to see His glory should touch us deeply," Alcorn says (page 82). He continues: "What an unexpected complement that the Creator of the universe has gone to such great lengths, at such sacrifice, to prepare a place for us where we can behold and participate in His glory.”

What do you imagine when you think of being with God (pages 83-84)?

Day Three (Week Four): How Will We Worship God?

Alcorn looks at worship on Day Three and says that it’s much more than singing and prayer. “I often worship God while reading a book, riding a bike, or taking a walk,” he says.

You and I can be worshiping God as we do this Bible study, parent our children, converse with our spouse, go to work, enjoy our grandkids … When we are in Heaven, God will be the first thought we have in all we do.

We will be able to enter Heaven one day because Jesus Christ rescued us from the wages of sin. Colossians 1:13 says, “For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves.” The righteousness of Christ covers our sins.

“The chosen princess, the church,” Alcorn says (page 87) can enter the presence of the Lord only because of the Bridegroom’s work. Yet her wedding dress is woven through her many acts of faithfulness while away from her Bridegroom on the fallen earth.”

Revelation 19:8 says, “Fine linen represents the righteous acts of the saints.” Why do you suppose the fine linen is made up of the acts of believers and what are these acts (page 87)?

Day Four (Week Four): Will We Actually Rule with Christ?

As we begin today, we really don’t know what happiness and sorrows await us. … And most days on this earth have varying levels of difficulties. Despite this, we can always be filled with joy as we anticipate being with the Lord forever.

Today, I want to think on the fact that Jesus will one day bring peace to all of the nations. He will be “King of kings and Lord of lords” (Rev. 19:11-16) … the “king over the whole earth” (Zech. 14:9).

A day is coming that has no sorrow!

Adam and Eve failed to rule over earth for the glory of God, but Jesus has not failed. He overcame death and will one day claim His church and rule over earth. What experience have you had lately that Christ either has used or could use you to prepare to rule with Him (page 90)?

What will ruling on the New Earth look like (pages 90-92)?

How will ruling in Heaven differ from ruling today on earth (page 91)? We are engaged in spiritual warfare today—warfare that will not be present on the New Earth.

What dreams might God be preparing you to live out on the New Earth (page 93)?

Although we can only imagine what the New Earth will be like, I wonder if there will be writers on the New Earth. If there will be, then I sure hope that God might be training me today to be one of those writers. I’d love to interview the saints and share how God transformed their lives and used what mankind could not understand for ultimate good … and for His glory.

Day Five (Week Four): How Will We Rule God’s Kingdom?

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2)

Alcorn begins today’s study reminding us that the pattern of the world as it is now will not be the pattern of the New Earth. The world that we are living in is under the curse of sin.

Galatians 1:4 says, that Jesus “gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.” What does this mean to us as followers of Christ (page 94)?

I had a good friend who would often say that someone showed her “Jesus with skin on.” This reminds me of the question on page 96, “Describe a time when someone “made the invisible God visible for you. What would you like to say to that person?”

How did you answer this?

After I graduated from college, I moved to a large city and didn’t have a car. One Sunday I took a taxi to a small nearby church. As I got out of the taxi, many probably noticed that I was a visitor that day. But a middle-aged couple, Harry and Harriett Powell, did much more than notice.

They befriended me, brought me to church every Sunday, encouraged me to get baptized, helped me get involved in Bible studies, met my fiancé, traveled to my wedding, etc. They made the invisible God visible to me, and we still stay in touch today. I am so very grateful that God put them in my life!

Ephesians 6:8 says, “The Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does.” I could never repay the Powells for what they did for me and for my legacy. But one day they will have their perfect reward from the hand of Almighty God.

Have a great week!

He is able,
Mary
Mary May Larmoyeux
www.marymaywrites.com
http://wanttostudythebible.blogspot.com
http://grandconnection.blogspot.com

Subscribe by email to Want to Study the Bible?

Photo copyright by Mary May Larmoyeux. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment